The Club

Welcome to the Horsham Golf Club.  The Club was established in 1898, situated in a paddock owned by the Langlands family centred on the Gardenia Street area.  In 1924 the club bought 34 hectares in Horsham East, across the river from Hamilton Street.  Access was via a swing-bridge and it was home to the club for 25 years.
 
In 1946 the club sold the 34 ha and bought 64 ha at Haven on a wonderful sand-belt.  The original course architect, Sam Berriman, produced a design which he considered one of his masterpieces.  Three years of mostly volunteer work followed.  Bulldozers carved the layout from the scrub, sheep manure was spread over the fairways and couch grass sown.  Trees were planted, dominated by the native white flowering tea tree and pines to break the wind.  In 1947 greens and bunkers were established.  In 1949 a dam was constructed and a reticulation system saved the onerous task of carting water to the course.  This was also the first year that members played the course.
 
Sam Berriman’s design was refined over the years by architect Kevin Hartley and legendary greenkeeper Max Ward.  The course has been ranked in the top 50 of Australia’s Best Courses and ranked 29 of courses with public access.  In 2012 the Herald Sun featured Horsham as ninth of Victoria’s magnificent public access golf courses.

In 1959 the clubhouse was built and the club was registered under the Licensing Act.  The clubhouse was extended in 1975 to enable catering for functions.  A new state of the art clubhouse was built in 2000 with the ability to cater for functions up to 300 and was regularly booked 12 months ahead for weddings and other functions.

The club has gone through many changes over the years but none like the devastating bushfires in 2009.  15,000 trees and shrubs were lost, the clubhouse, Pro Shop, machinery shed and equipment were completely destroyed and the course decimated.  Since then, with the support of golf clubs from across Australia and the State Government, the committee has led staff, contractors and volunteers in rebuilding our beautiful facilities.  As well as the “fire” the club has had to deal with a ten year drought, mice and locust plagues and the 2011 “one in 200 year” flood.  These caused significant damage but were also dealt with effectively.
 
To take the course into the future we have adopted a course master plan, prepared by course architects Crafter and Mogford.  While we will never see the narrow, tree lined fairways of the old course we will be able to enjoy a modern, top class golf course suited to both average and talented golfers.  The new clubhouse opened in September 2013 and is a social focus for the Club and the wider community.  It is available for a wide range of functions for small groups to large.

The future is very bright.